Thursday, August 1, 2013

For Some Reason it is August.

I don't have years or months of waiting anymore, I have days. 25 of them. 25 short days until school. In honor of this, the playlist for this month is made up of songs from a few of my favorite high school movies.

1. Oh Yoko-John Lennon- 'Rushmore'
 I've always been very fond of this movie and soundtrack. One summer, my dad and I took a road trip to Schlitterbahn and listened to this soundtrack the whole way there and back.

2. Toothpaste Kisses-The Maccabees- 'Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging'
 This movie is so great. It's adorable and witty (and british which makes everything better). Also, the soundtrack is delightful!

3. God is a DJ-Pink- 'Mean Girls' 
 I think Mean Girls is all I have to say?

4. Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want-The Smiths- 'Pretty in Pink'
 Pretty in Pink and The Smiths is a pretty fantastic combo if you ask me. I actually think this is the only John Hughes movie that features a Smiths song!

5. Playground Love-Air- 'The Virgin Suicides'
 The Virgin Suicides album is composed entirely by a band called Air. I like the steady sameness of the songs. It works well with the tone of the movie.

I spent way too long making this
6. O Children-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt. 1' 
They aren't technically in school anymore in DHP1 but I think this song is a really important part of the playlist.

7. Talk Show Host-Radiohead- 'Romeo + Juliet' 
 Romeo + Juliet. This movie is perfection. I had a hard time choosing between this song and 'Kissing You' (if you haven't heard it, you should Youtube it right now because it is EXQUISITE). I eventually went with this one because I felt it deserved more attention.

8. Breaking Free- High School Musical 
 I couldn't help myself with this one. It's the ultimate high school movie musical epic. I honestly believe that my life wouldn't be the same without it.

9. Pearly Dewdrops Drop- Cocteau Twins- The Perks of Being a Wallflower 
 Gosh, choosing a song from this movie was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made!  It's hard for me to express my love for this book/movie. The soundtrack is euphoric and even though I've listened to it numerous times, it still remains so.

10. Don't You (Forget About Me)-Simple Minds- The Breakfast Club
 It's the preeminent high school movie--a triumph for mankind.


So! Let's (try to) get (vaguely) excited together!



No comments:

Post a Comment